The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) gives you the opportunity to receive college credit for what you already know by earning qualifying scores on any of 34 examinations. Earn credit for knowledge you've acquired through independent study, prior course work, on-the-job training, professional development, cultural pursuits, and internships.
Why you may want to take CLEP
- Save time. Depending on your college's CLEP policy, a satisfactory score on a CLEP exam can earn you from 3 to 12 college credits.
- Save money. The cost of a CLEP exam is $100.00, a fraction of the tuition and fees for the corresponding course.
- Advance more quickly. Skip general introductory courses and move on to more advanced classes, or explore new and challenging academic areas.
- Graduate on time. CLEP can help you to the finish line if you're a few credits shy of graduation.
Satisfy a proficiency requirement. Demonstrate your ability in college math or a foreign language.
CLEP POLICY FOR NORTH CENTRAL MICHIGAN COLLEGE
North Central recognizes up to 15 credits for AP & CLEP for credit toward a degree.
Equivalent Course(s) at NCMC
Composition & Literature
|American Literature||50||50||6||Eng 231, Eng 232|
|Analyzing & Interpreting Literature||50||50||6||Eng Elective|
|College Composition Modular
(With No Essay)
|English Literature||50||50||6||Eng 221, Eng 222|
|College Composition||50||50||6||Eng 111, Eng 112|
|French Language (Level 1)||50||50||8||FR 111, 112|
|French Language (Level 2)||59||59||16||FR 111, 112, 211, 212|
|German Language (Level 1)||50||50||8||GR 111, 112|
|German Language (Level 2)||60||60||16||GR 111, 112, 211, 212|
|Spanish Language (Level 1)||50||50||8||SPN 111,112|
|Spanish Language (Level 2)||63||63||16||SPN 111,112, 211, 212|
History & Social Sciences
|American Government||50||50||3||PLS 141|
|Human Growth and Development||50||50||3||PSY 261|
|Intro to Educational Psychology||50||50||3||PSY Elective|
|Introductory Psychology||50||50||3||PSY 161|
|Introductory Sociology||50||50||3||SOC 171|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||50||50||3||ECO 111|
|Principles of Microeconomics||50||50||3||ECO 112|
|Social Sciences & History||50||50||3||HST Elective|
|U.S. History 1:
Early Colonization to 1877
|U.S. History 2:
1865 to the Present
|Western Civilization 1:
Ancient Near East to 1648
|Western Civilization 2:
1648 to the Present
Science & Mathematics
|College Algebra||50||50||4||Math 119|
|College Mathematics||50||50||6||Math Elective|
|Natural Sciences||50||50||6||Bio Elective|
|Financial Accounting||50||50||8||B 211, B 212|
|Introductory Business Law||50||50||3||B 290|
|Information Systems &
|Principles of Management||50||50||3||B 200|
|Principles of Marketing||50||50||3||M 200|
Steps required of CLEP test-taker prior to exam appointment:
- Test-taker self-registers through My Account at http://clep.collegeboard.org, available 24/7.
- Test-taker selects the score recipient to receive the score transcript, pays the $80.00 exam fee, answers background questions, and obtains a registration ticket to present to NCMC test proctor on test day.
- After registering through My Account, test-taker must contact NCMC test center at 231-348-6693 to schedule an appointment to take the CLEP exam. NCMC charges a $20.00 proctoring fee at time of service to administer the CLEP exam. Data collected is sent to the NCMC testing site on test day in Learning Support Services room 533.
- Test-taker’s score results are automatically uploaded to CLEP after testing.
- For retesting or special initiatives, test-taker must self-register through the CLEP website.
- CLEP testing is offered Tuesday or Wednesday between 10:00 a.m. and the latest you can start a test is 4:00 p.m. by appointment at (231) 348-6693 in Learning Support Services room 533 in the SCRC building on the Petoskey campus.
- The tests are 90 minutes long; however, a 2 hour block of time is required to allow for the processing of information that is requested prior to the actual test.
- 2 photo ID’s are required. A driver’s license and a student ID will suffice.
- CLEP charges $80.00 per test.
- NCMC charges a $20.00 administration fee. This may be paid in LSS with cash or a check made out to NCMC. To pay the administration fee using a credit card, go to the cashier’s office and bring the receipt with you to Learning Support Services room 533 in the SCRC building.
- The total cost for each exam is $100.00.
- A list of the exams and the NCMC course equivalencies is attached. To determine what other colleges accept, check online or call that college.
- A complete study guide and individual exam guides are offered from the CLEP site on-line at: http://clep.collegeboard.org/test-preparation
- CLEP for Military Personnel and Veterans is available from the CLEP site on-line at: http://clep.collegeboard.org/military
- Test Preparation is available from the CLEP site on-line at: http://clep.collegeboard.org/test-preparation
- Additional Essays
Please request any additional essays when scheduling the appointment. Each essay costs $10.00, payable by money order, made out to CLEP.