Michigan Transfer Agreement
The Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) replaces the MACRAO agreement and will take effect for students entering fall 2014 or later. Students who attended prior to fall 2014 will be able to complete the existing MACRAO agreement until the end of summer 2019.
The Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) is designed to facilitate transfer of general education requirements between institutions. One of the guiding principles of the agreement is to promote transparency among institutions and ensure accurate transfer information for students.
A student must successfully complete at least 30 credits, with at least a 2.0 in each course, to fulfill the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA). Credits from students who have attended previous institutions will be evaluated and recorded as meeting ‘MTA’ requirements or North Central Michigan College’s general education requirements, as long their home institutions considered those courses to satisfy general education requirements. A student must earn at least one credit-bearing course at North Central to have the ‘MTA Satisfied’ posted on the North Central transcript.
Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) Requirements
- 1 Course in English Composition
- A second course in English Composition or 1 course in Communications
- 1 Course in Mathematics
- 2 Courses in Social Sciences (from two disciplines)
- 2 Courses in Humanities and Fine Arts (from two disciplines excluding studio and performance classes)
- 2 Courses in Sciences including one with laboratory experience (from two disciplines)
- Additional areas of prior learning are not applicable to the MTA at this time (e.g., International Baccalaureate-IB, College-Level Examination Program-CLEP, DANTES Subject Standardized Test-SST, etc.)
View the North Central Michigan College’s list of approved courses that will meet the MTA category requirements.
Students earning an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree at North Central Michigan College will automatically have “MTA Satisfied” posted to their transcript, provided they meet the minimum grade requirement. All other students will need to submit a formal request to have their transcript evaluated for the “MTA Satisfied” designation.
Below are links for more information about the MTA, MTA Signatory Institutions, and Michigan colleges and universities transfer equivalencies:
For additional information on the MTA or MACRAO, please contact Student Services at (231) 348-6605.