North Central Site Search:

Truck Driving

Truck Driving

Certificate of Development   Program Code: 108  
Credit Hours: 17   Contact Hours: 40
Associate Dean: Peter Olson  


North Central Michigan College is proud to offer the Truck Driver Certificate of Development program in cooperation with International Trucking School, Inc. This 15-week driver training program begins with classroom, lab, and focused independent study time, and ends with a 10-week paid internship of on-the-road experience. According to recent estimates, three out of every four tons of freight in the United States are moved by truck, and demand for drivers is expected to remain consistently high. This certificate of development program introduces students to the theoretical as well as the practical skills necessary to obtain a commercial driving license, grade A, and includes very strong emphasis on safe driving practices in all phases of instruction.

This program has a second admissions process. In addition to meeting general admissions requirements for North Central, students:

  • Must be at least 21 years of age at start of program
  • Must have a high school diploma or GED
  • Must hold a valid driver’s license
  • Must have a driving record that will enable the applicant to obtain a Training Instruction Permit (TIP) from the Secretary of State. See here for more information:
  • Must complete and pass the Department of Transportation physical examination and drug screening
  • Must meet the requirements of the Motor Carrier Federal Safety Regulations, Qualifications of Drivers

Program Requirements: 



  TRK 100     Tractor-Trailer Operations  |  Credit Hours: 17  |  Contact Hours: 40


TRK 100 contains four separate modules of instruction, each of which must be completed with a “C” or better.  Upon successful completion of the first three modules, students will be placed with an approved carrier for approximately ten weeks of 40 hour per week driving.



When does the program start?


Cohorts are beginning throughout the year. 
Call 989-705-3775 for more information about the next cohort start date.




Where are the courses located?

Initial coursework is done at the Gaylord University Center in Gaylord, Michigan. The 10-week internship will require travel, depending on the carrier employing the student. 


How long will the program take?

This is a 15-week program. The first 5 weeks consist of formal instruction based at the Gaylord University Center; the last 10 weeks consist of a paid internship.


What is the cost for the program?
This program is based on a flat fee and students will be charged at the following competitive rates:

In-District (Emmet county residents):                                          $6,750.00


Out-of-District/ Out-of State:                                                           $7,500.00



Is financial aid available?


North Central is authorized to administer Federal financial aid to eligible students.  Aid may include grants and loans.  To apply, complete and submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at  Use college code 002299.  Students will be contacted by the North Central financial aid office when their FAFSA has been received at the College.


Do I need a high school diploma or GED?


A high school diploma/ GED is not required for admission to North Central. However, since you must be a high school graduate/ GED holder to sit for the CDL exam, it is required to enter the truck driving certificate program.


All admissions materials must be submitted to the Gaylord University Center (North Central Michigan College) as soon as possible after applying for admission and well before classes begin.


How do I become admitted to North Central?


Fill out the application for admission at Use the application titled “Truck Driver Certificate”. Submit your high school transcript, ACT/SAT scores or take the COMPASS assessment. The COMPASS assessment is available in Gaylord, Cheboygan or Petoskey. Receive assistance through this process from our staff in Gaylord, 989-705-3775.


Why do I need assessment scores?


Assessment scores give us some sense of your readiness to begin this rigorous program. While independent English and math courses are not required for this certificate, there are some minimum skill levels that will be expected prior to entry. Practice tests are available. See here for more assistance:


Tell me more about the internship.


The internship is a critical component for this program. The International Trucking School will find placements for students who have successfully completed the 5-week coursework. Internships will be paid and can provide great leads for future employment. Depending on the carrier, students will be expected to travel during these 10 weeks.


How do I graduate?


When you’ve successfully completed 15-weeks of instruction, you are eligible for a Truck Driver Certificate of Development. Complete the application for graduation and celebrate your accomplishment!


For more information, contact:

Gaylord University Center 989-705-3775
North Central Student Services 1-888-298-6605 or 231-348-6605