Skip to Main Content


General Questions

What is NC ADAPT?

NC ADAPT is a comprehensive plan that leverages resources from across NCMC’s campus to ensure student, faculty, staff, and community success and safety in response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

How are classes going to be taught?

Classes will be taught face-to-face on campus, hybrid (F2F and online) and entirely online.

A plan to flex courses between delivery modes where necessary for public health or curricular demands will allow us to move seamlessly between formats if it is necessary for the safety of our students, faculty and staff.

Can I come back to campus?

Students will be able to return to campus. However, if social distancing requirements are once again introduced during the Winter 2021 semester, the College will respond as needed. This means that you could be given the choice to return home (if possible) or be asked to learn remotely from your home or residence hall.


How will NC ADAPT affect housing and dining?

The residence hall has some new guidelines to ensure the safety of our Res Hall students:

  • No guests will be allowed inside the Residence Hall after dorm move-in occurs.
  • We are holding our Residence Hall at limited capacity to keep each dorm room at single occupancy, ensuring your space and safety.
  • Masks are required when you’re outside your own room, and social distancing will be observed in all common areas.
  • Use of the Res Hall kitchens will be limited to one student at a time.
  • Report any suspected Covid-19 symptoms to the on-site Res Hall Director immediately; quarantine rooms will be available for students who suspect they are ill.

The Iron Horse Café will be set up for social distancing:

  • Hand sanitizer stations are available at both café entrances.
  • We’ve installed sneeze guards at the cash register.
  • Our dining room will be held at 50% capacity.
  • Floor signage will remind guests about one-way traffic patterns.
  • IHC staff will undergo temperature checks before reporting to work.
  • All Health Department and food service guidelines will be strictly followed.


What about athletics?

The Fall semester welcomes students to participate in Cross Country and E-Sports athletic teams. Please reach out to our athletic director, Ashley Antonishen, for specific information at or via phone at 231-348-6830.

Academic Questions

Will the semester start on time?

As of right now, yes. If that changes, you'll know well in advance.

Is this just for the winter semester, or is it for the whole remaining 2021 academic year?

We're planning for the winter semester. We are prepared to continue using NC ADAPT as long as there's a possibility that the COVID-19 pandemic could require us to shift to other modes of delivery in the interest of public health. 

I don't want to take only online classes. Do I have a choice?

Yes; we’ve all got different comfort levels, and our Winter schedule has something for everyone:  F2F, hybrid (F2F and online) and entirely online classes. There is also a plan to flex courses between delivery modes where necessary for public health or curricular demands that will allow us “to move seamlessly between formats if it is necessary for the safety of our students, faculty and staff. 

How will a hands-on lab or class be taught?

Stringent safety protocols to prevent infection, including appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) including appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE), social distancing, and disinfection as recommended by the Health Dept. of Northwest Michigan will be utilized. Whenever practical, computer simulation and/or alternative lab experiences will be employed.


What if I don't have reliable access to high-speed internet or technology at my permanent residence?

For students who do not have reliable access to high-speed internet or technology at their residence, Wi-Fi is available on our Petoskey campus in the library parking lot 24/7, as well as the parking lots closest to the buildings at the Cheboygan and Gaylord sites.

Listed below are other sources of support from a number of different avenues:

  • Students are eligible to apply for Student Emergency Fund assistance to help with obtaining technology and internet access.
  • Great Lakes Energy has announced free access to Truestream high-speed Wi-Fi at several parking lots in Emmet and Charlevoix counties:
    • Bliss Township Firehall – 9198 Pleasantview Rd., Levering
    • Stutsmanville Chapel – 2988 S. State St., Harbor Springs
    • Harbor Light Christian School – 8333 Clayton Rd., Harbor Springs
    • Emmet County Road Commission – 2265 Hathaway Rd., Harbor Springs
    • Petoskey Youth Soccer Association Field – 2325 Click Rd., Petoskey.  Service is available from 6 a.m.–8 p.m.
    • Charlevoix Township Stroud Hall – 12491 Waller Rd., Charlevoix
    • Great Lakes Energy Office – west side – 1323 Boyne Ave., Boyne City (old Carters parking lot)


I'm an incoming first-year student. What does this mean for me?

Welcome! You should be receiving an email from admissions regarding the elements of NC ADAPT and what it means for you. If you haven't received an email yet, or if you still have questions, please contact any member of our Admissions staff:

Corey Lansing: or 231-439-6349
Chelse Hawkins Olivo: or 231-348-6829
Kate Gardner: or 231-348-6824
Katlyn Hansen: or 231-348-6626

There are virtual Orientations to welcome our new students to campus and introduce them to the facilities and resources available at North Central.

Who can I talk to if I still have questions about NC ADAPT?

Please contact if you have additional questions about NC ADAPT.

Campus Experience Questions

Can I utilize counseling services if I'm learning remotely?

Absolutely.  Mary Mummaw, MA, LPC, is a full-time counselor in our Students Services department, and she will hold one-on-one virtual meetings with any North Central student.  She may be reached at or via phone at 231-348-6700.


What academic support services are available if I'm not on campus?

Our Learning Support Services department offers excellent academic support services, even if you're not on campus.  Please contact LSS staff at for details.


I want to be involved in student leadership. How will NC ADAPT impact student leadership opportunities this fall?

It is expected that Student Senate, Phi Theta Kappa, North Central's Student Nurses Association and Student Veterans Association will operate, either in person or virtually, during the 2020-2021 academic year.  Should adjustments have to made to account for proper social distancing, our student leadership and club advisors will communicate to members as necessary.


What about campus events and social life?

Campus events are a big part of the college experience, and we are hopeful that events may return to normal sometime during the 2021 academic year.  However, we recognize the need to be creative and flexible with how events are offered, and we are prepared to adapt as necessary.

Financial Aid Questions

How will financial aid refunds be handled?

Financial aid refunds will be issued as follows:

Financial aid award payments are applied to students’ accounts each semester of enrollment within two weeks following the add/drop final date at the beginning of the semester.  Student loans to first time borrowers are applied to students’ accounts approximately 30 days after the start date of the semester per U.S. Department of Education regulations.  Refunds for aid that exceed tuition, fees, books and campus housing and meal plan, if applicable, are issued within 14 days of the award payment to the student’s account.


Will scholarships be awarded?  When will I receive them?

Yes; multiple scholarship application cycles give students more flexibility to apply for scholarship dollars.  An application cycle that opened June 15 and runs through August 14 is for scholarships to be awarded for the Fall 2020 semester.  The next cycle, which runs October 1 – November 30, is for scholarships to be awarded for the Winter 2021 semester. If you have questions, please contact the Financial Aid department at or Rudi Raab, Financial Aid Specialist 231-348-6627.

Will there be a change in how financial aid will be awarded?

No; we will follow the same process and procedures that we have in the past.  If you have not yet completed a FAFSA, we recommend that you do that as soon as possible.  If you have any questions, please contact the Financial Aid department at or Rudi Raab, Financial Aid Specialist 231-348-6627.