Skip to Main Content

Crime Victim's Rights




table of contents

Crisis Support & Counseling


Reporting Options

Crime Victim's Rights Act

Your Legal Rights

What About Alcohol?

Information for Victims of Domestic Violence

Where to go for Assistance

Title IX



Whether you need support now or years after experiencing sexual assault or dating violence, help is available 24 hours a day.

Womenʼs Resource Center of Northern Michigan


24-hour Crisis and Intervention (WRCNM)

231-347-0082 or 1-800-275-1995

In the event of a sex offense occurring on campus, the Petoskey Department of Public Safety (911) should be contacted immediately. Medical assistance is available at McLaren-Northern Michigan Emergency Room (416 Connable Ave., Petoskey, 231-348-4520).

The Womenʼs Resource Center of Northern Michigan offers counseling and advocacy services with the police and hospital. An advocate can be immediately dispatched to assist any victim. This can be accessed by calling the 24-hour crisis line at 231-347-0082. Victims are reminded of the importance of preserving evidence which may be necessary for the proof of sexual assault. Any offense should be reported to the Vice President of Student Affairs (231-348-6618) as soon as possible.



Sexual assault is any sexual contact made without consent. Consent is a clear yes, not the absence of no.

Dating/domestic violence refers to an ongoing pattern of controlling abusive behaviors that individuals use against their intimate partners. These behaviors include physical, sexual or emotional attacks and/or economic control.

Stalking is a course of conduct that causes the victim to experience serious emotional distress or to fear bodily injury or death. Conduct may include sending the victim unwanted items or gifts, repeated calls, emails or texts, showing up at the victimʼs home, workplace or class.

Consent – Sexual activity requires consent, which is defined as voluntary, positive agreement between the participants to engage in specific sexual activity. Consent must be clear and unambiguous for each participant at every stage of a sexual encounter. The absence of “no” should not be understood to mean that there is consent. A person who is asleep or mentally or physically incapacitated, either through the effect of drugs or alcohol or for any other reason, is not capable of giving valid consent.

You are not at fault if any of these things have happened to you.



All reports will be taken seriously and investigated thoroughly. Sexual assault, intimate partner violence and stalking are forms of gender discrimination and violations of the Title IX and the Student Code of Conduct.

The Vice President of Student Affairs is designated to receive and investigate allegations of student misconduct. Upon receiving a report, the Vice President of Student Affairs will also ensure that victims are provided with assistance and referrals. The Vice President of Student Affairs also receives and investigates Title IX complaints/reports, which include sexual harassment, sexual assault and sex discrimination.

Renee DeYoung, Vice President of Student Affairs

Title IX Coordinator


David Hartnett, Vice President of Finance and Facilities

(for employees) 231-348-6603



  1. Crime victims should be aware of the following information: Emergency and medical services are available to crime victims.
  2. Victimʼs compensation benefits may be available by contacting: Crime Victim Services Commission, 320 South Walnut St., Lansing, MI, 48913. Victims only - Toll-free 877-251-7373.
  3. Crime victims may contact the prosecutorʼs office as follows:

Emmet County Prosecutorʼs Office

Emmet County Building, 200 Division Street, Petoskey, MI 49770

Phone: 231-348-1725

Otsego County Prosecutorʼs Office

800 Livingston Blvd., Suite 3-D, Gaylord, MI 49735

Phone: 989-731-7430

Cheboygan County Prosecutorʼs Office

870 S. Main St., Room 143, Cheboygan, MI 49721

Phone: 231-627-8450

  1. If you would like to be notified of an arrest in your case or the release of the person arrested, or both, you should call:

Marie Leirstein, Victim Witness Coordinator, Emmet County Prosecutor's Office

Phone: 231-348-1725

Otsego County Sheriff Department               989-732-7858

Victim Advocate                                     989-731-7431

Cheboygan Department of Public Safety     231-627-4321

Victim Advocate                                     231-627-8450



You have the legal right to ask the County Prosecutor to file a criminal complaint. You have the right to go to court and file a petition requesting an injunctive order to protect you or other members of your household from domestic abuse which could include an order restraining or enjoining the abuser from:

  • Entering on the premises.
  • Assaulting, beating, molesting or wounding you.
  • Threatening to kill or physically injure you or another person. Removing minor children from you, unless authorized by a custody or visitation order issued by a court.
  • Engaging in stalking behavior.
  • Purchasing or possessing a firearm.
  • Interfering with your efforts to remove your children or personal property from premises that are solely owned or leased by the abuser.
  • Interfering with you at your place of employment or education or engaging in conduct that impairs your employment relationship or your employment or educational environment.
  • Engaging in any other specific act or conduct that imposes upon or interferes with your personal liberty or that causes a reasonable apprehension of violence.
  • Having access to information in records concerning any minor child you have with the abuser that would inform the abuser about your address or telephone number, the childʼs address or telephone number, or your employment address.
  • Your legal rights also include the right to go to court and file a motion for an order to show cause and a hearing if the abuser is violating or has violated a personal protection order and has not been arrested.



Responsible Action Guidelines

In those cases where a student has been a victim of sexual assault and/or violent crime while under the influence of alcohol, the college will not pursue disciplinary actions against the student victim (or against a witness) for his or her improper use of alcohol (e.g., underage drinking). A student victim who is under the influence of alcohol at the time of a sexual assault is entitled to college and community assistance and is encouraged to seek help.



Domestic Violence Shelters

Womenʼs Resource Center of Northern Michigan 231-347-0067

24-hour Crisis and Intervention (WRCNM) 231-347-0082 or 1-800-275-1995

Information about emergency shelter, counseling services and the legal rights of domestic violence victims is available through these resources.

To obtain a Personal Protection Order (PPO), begin at the County Clerkʼs Office.

Emmet County Clerkʼs Office

200 Division St., Petoskey, MI 49770


Otsego County Clerkʼs Office

225 West Main St., Gaylord, MI 49735


Cheboygan County Clerkʼs Office

870 S. Main St., Cheboygan, MI 49721




  • 24-hour Crisis and Intervention (WRCNM) 231-347-0082 or 1-800-275-1995
  • McLaren Northern Michigan 231-348-4000
  • Petoskey Department of Public Safety 231-347-2500
  • Otsego County Sheriff Department 989-732-7858
  • Cheboygan Department of Public Safety 231-627-4321





Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX), 20 U.S.C. §§ 1681 et seq., and its implementing regulations, 34 C.F.R. Part 106, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs or activities operated by recipients of Federal financial assistance. Sexual harassment of students, which includes acts of sexual violence, is a form of sex discrimination prohibited by Title IX. Sexual violence refers to physical sexual acts perpetrated against a personʼs will or where a person is incapable of giving consent due to the victimʼs use of drugs or alcohol. An individual also may be unable to give consent due to an intellectual or other disability. A number of different acts fall into the category of sexual violence, including rape, sexual assault, sexual battery and sexual coercion. All such acts of sexual violence are forms of sexual harassment covered under Title IX. In addition to a criminal investigation into reports of sexual violence, all Title IX matters will be reported to and investigated by the Title IX Coordinator. To file a Title IX complaint, contact the Title IX Coordinator for North Central Michigan College, Vice President of Student Affairs, Renee DeYoung, at 231-348-6618.