Student Tech. FAQs - Coronavirus
Frequently asked questions (FAQs) about problems with technology requirements for moving to online classes due to COVID-19:
What if I'm having trouble with Internet Access?
The remainder of your Winter 2020 classes require you to have consistent & reliable internet access.
- How much data is included in your plan? What would it cost to “bump” it up, even temporarily?
- Is your internet or cellular service provider offering free or reduced service and/or data if you are a student taking online classes during the COVID-10 outbreak? (See next to last page of this FAQ for providers offering such plans.)
Contact your local service provider to ask questions about your existing service, set up new service, or ask for information regarding free or reduced services offered for students moving to online classes due to COVID-19. Contact numbers for popular local provides are listed below.
* Wifi access will be available in the library parking lot on the Petoskey campus, and in parking lots closest to the building at our Cheboygan and Gaylord centers for drive-in internet access. See main campus map below.
|Local Broadband Internet Providers||Local Cellular Data Providers|
How should I expect to communicate with my instructors?
What if I'm having difficulties with Brightspace?
Brightspace 101 – FREE self-paced online course
- Brightspace 101 provides a self-guided tour with opportunities to practice using discussions, exams, &assignments. To self-enroll, visit the Brightspace 101 infographic on the right side of the Brightspace home page.
Talk or chat with a Brightspace support person 24/7
- Phone: 1-877-325-7778
- Live chat: Visit North Central's online Brightspace support desk and click the orange "Chat with an expert" button.
Can’t figure out what your instructor wants you to do in Brightspace?
- First, contact your instructor with questions about activities and assignments in Brightspace – he or she will be happy to help! Your instructor’s contact information can be found in the syllabus.
- If you are unsuccessful in contacting or resolving your concern with your instructor, email email@example.com.
What if I’m having computer problems?
You may need to have access to a computer or tablet capable of handling online classes. Most basic laptops will meet these needs (i.e., web browser, Word, & PowerPoint). Check your syllabus and course communications from your syllabus to determine whether there are special computer or software requirements in your course.
If you do not have access to a computer
What if I need additional Tech Support?
The IT Help Desk can help resolve portal login issues, connecting to the student wireless network, and solve other technology problems.
- Regular business hours
- Evenings, weekends, holidays, & busy times of the semester
What special offers may be available from Internet/Cellular Providers during this COVID-19 situation:
AT & T
Where is Wi-Fi access available on North Central’s campuses?
Expanded Wi-Fi access is available in Parking Lot 4 (PL4) on Petoskey’s main campus:
In Cheboygan, Wi-Fi access is available in the parking lot directly adjacent to our Straits Area Education Center at: 504 Division St., Cheboygan, MI 49721.
In Gaylord, Wi-Fi access is available in the parking lot directly adjacent to our North Central Michigan College Gaylord Center at 620 E. Fifth St., Gaylord, MI 49735.