North Central Site Search:

North Central Dual Enrollment

What is Dual Enrollment?

  • Dual Enrollment is a provision enacted by the State of Michigan's Postsecondary Enrollment Options Act. The Act established eligibility criteria that enable certain high school junior and senior students to enroll in college courses during the regular academic year while in high school.

Who is eligible for Dual Enrollment?

  • You may be considered for Dual Enrollment, if you:
    • are a high school junior or senior
    • are enrolled in at least 1 high school course
    • have takes the PSAT or PLAN and meet minimum passing scores in the content area you wish to take a course. Course areas that are not covered in the PSAT or PLAN may be approved if the PSAT or PLAN has been taken and the High School approves the course based on their own local criteria such as grades
    • meet College pre-requisites and placement scores for the course

How many college courses can I take?

  • You must be enrolled in at least one high school course. The number of and type of college courses elected needs to be a discussion between your high school counselor, your parent(s)/guardian and you. You will want to balance a successful high school and college experience.

Which courses qualify for Dual Enrollment?

  • Courses that qualify for Dual Enrollment are:
    • not offered by the school district
    • offered, but not available to the student because of a scheduling conflict as determined by the Board of the school district
    • academic in nature, as opposed to an activity course
    • not physical education, theology, divinity, or religious education
    • apply toward North Central Michigan College graduation requirements

Can I take classes on my own that my high school will not pay for?

  • Yes, however you may have to take them on your own time as well. Speak to you high school counselor and parent about this option. High scholl and parent signatures are still required for these courses.

When can I take college courses?

  • You may take courses during your normal academic year to qualify under the Dual Enrollment option where the school district covers the tuition and fees. You may elect to take courses on your own not during your normal academic year, such as, the summer session. The school district is not required to cover the tuition and fees during there periods. Day, afternoon, evening and online course offerings can be dual enrollment options.

If I do not go to class will the College know I don't want to take/finish the class?

  • No, you will receive an "E" if you do not officially withdraw from a class. In addition, the school district must still pay for all tuition and fees if you fail to complete the course unless you withdraw before the first day of classes. See How do I withdraw from a class?

How do I withdraw from a class?

  • You must officially withdraw from a course. Obtain a Dual Enrollment Change of Schedule Form from your high school counselor. Notifying your high school counselor or simply not going to class does not constitute an official withdrawal. You must complete the form and with your H. S. Counselor and they will fax it to Student Services. Deadline dates and times for Refund/Withdrawal status on the Academic Calendar apply to dual enrolled students.

What happens if I don't complete, or even fail my college course?

  • If you fail or do not complete a college course, and that course was needed to fulfill high school graduation requirements, you could seriously jeopardize your graduation status. You may also have difficulty obtaining scholarships or financial aid for college. Additionally, failed college courses are officially noted as an "E". You would have to retake the course at North Central and obtain a passing grade to replace that "E".

How long is the semester?

  • A semester is 16 weeks during the fall and winter. The summer session is 8 weeks long.

How much time will I spend in class?

  • If you take a 3 credit hour class, you will be in class for 3 hours each week. You will also be expected to spend at least twice as many hours each week studying outside of class. So, one class will take approximately 10 hours each week.

What mistakes do most dual enrolled students make?

  • not attending class, or walking away without notifying your high school and the College by officially withdrawing
  • not turning in assignments on time
  • assuming that missing several classes due to high school obligations, like sporting events is a valid excuse
  • not reading the textbook because the instructor does not mention it during lectures

Do I have to go to class, may I turn in an assignment late?

  • It depends on your instructor's policy on attendance and accepting late assignments. Make sure to check the syllabus and don't be surprised if their policy is not accept any late assignments or have a maximum number of absences before your grade is affected. Regardless of your reason, you cannot appeal their policy.

What if I have a function at the high school I just can't miss?

  • First, check the syllabus for the instructor's policy on missed classes. Second, contact the instructor to let them know you will not be attending and why. Inquire about making up the missed work. The instructor does not have to make any special accommodations for you missing a class, so don't be surprised if you simply cannot turn in an assignment late or make up a test. Basically, you are making the choices about time. Which is more important to you-- making it to a high school function or doing well in a college class? Remember everything you do affects your permanent academic record.

What will my instructors expect from me? College students are expected to:

  • attend class regularly
  • actively participate
  • ask questions
  • be prepared for tests and quizzes
  • read the textbooks
  • do your homework even if you don't have to turn it in
  • turn in assignments on time
  • take notes in class
  • talk to your instructor after class and during office hours
  • use the learning support services available to you for academic success

Can my parents inquire about my grades, attendance or other information?

  • Students information is protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Information that can be released or discussed only with the student's written permission are: class schedule, transcript, grade report, assessment information, all records not identified as Directory Information. Directory information is name, address, telephone numbers, field of study, scholarships/awards, and semester dates of attendance and height and weight if an athlete.