North Central Site Search:

Student Success - Financial Aid Programs

Student Success -- Financial Aid Programs


Grants offered at North Central are funds that do not have to be repaid. Grants are primarily based on demonstrated need and are developed for students who do not possess a bachelor’s degree. Students apply using the FAFSA.


Federal Pell Grants:

A federal award based on exceptional need. Awards range from $555 to $5,550 (based on 2012-13 award year). Awards are based on enrollment status from full- to less than half-time depending on individual eligibility.


Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants:

A federal award based on exceptional financial need. Priority is given to Pell grant recipients. The award amount is determined by the College based on funds available.


Michigan Tuition Incentive Program:

A State award that provides for tuition and fees at the resident college rate to students who are under age 20, are high school graduates, or have earned a GED.
The Michigan Department of Treasury, through Family Independence Agency Medicaid records, certifies eligibility for each recipient. Students must enroll in at least six credit hours per semester.


Scholarships are funds that do not have to be repaid. They are based primarily on academic achievement and may or may not be based on need. Outside/private scholarships have deadlines established each academic year.


Michigan Competitive Scholarship

A State program for students who achieve required scores on the ACT exam and have financial need. The Michigan Department of Treasury determines eligibility and the award amount.


North Central Michigan College Presidential Scholarship:

A graduate from each public and private high school and one home-schooled student within North Central’s service area is eligible to receive the Presidential Scholarship. North Central’s service area encompasses Emmet, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Otsego, Presque Isle, Antrim and Mackinac counties. To be considered, a student shall be either a valedictorian, salutatorian, or have a 3.5 overall high school grade point average; meet pre-established placement scores; and apply for admission to North Central by early spring. The award is for full-time tuition and fees for two academic years (Fall and Winter semesters). The award is renewed each semester the student maintains eligibility. The application process for home-schooled students can be found here: Scholarship home-schooled students2010.pdf


North Central Michigan College Foundation Scholarships:

Through generous donations from the community, the College makes available a variety of scholarships. Many have a need component. Students should file a FAFSA along with the North Central Michigan College Scholarship application found on-line at


Student Employment

Students file the FAFSA to be considered for Federal work study. Work study is need-based aid. Students receive a paycheck for the hours they work. The maximum amount a student may earn is specified. Students can apply for job openings through the Financial Aid office.


Federal Work Study:

Provides up to 20 hours per week of primarily on-campus employment to students with financial need. Limited community service positions are available off-campus.


Student Loans are borrowed money and require repayment with interest. Repayment begins six months after a student ceases to be enrolled half-time. Students are required to file for financial aid using the FAFSA before a loan request can be considered.
Students must be enrolled at least half-time and be making academic progress to receive loan consideration. Students should borrow only what they realistically can repay. The approved loan amount is determined by the student’s financial need, other
financial aid and resources, program limits and the loan amount requested. The school determines the eligibility for a federal student loan. The College can refuse to certify a loan application or can certify a loan for an amount less than the student would otherwise be eligible for if the College documents the reason for its action and explains the reason in writing. The College’s decision is final and cannot be appealed to the federal government. Students are encouraged to access web information at before taking out a loan. Academic history will be considered, regardless of overall GPA. Excessive withdrawals and/or incomplete grades could result in denial of funding. Previous defaults are not considered for loan funding. Students should contact the Financial Aid office for additional information and the steps to request a loan.


Federal Direct Stafford Loans:

For those students with financial need, the government pays the interest during school periods with a Federal Direct Stafford Loan. If eligible, a student may receive loan funds beyond the subsidized loan limit or, if he/she does not have a financial need, through an unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loan. Loan maximums are set by the government but may be limited because of student eligibility. All students receiving subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Direct Stafford Loans participate in mandatory entrance and exit counseling on-line. The counseling takes place prior to the first disbursement of a loan. On-line loan counseling is accessed through the College website. Loan counseling presents information regarding the responsibilities of indebtedness, repayment options and the consequences of failing to repay a loan.


Federal Direct PLUS Loans:

North Central requires a student to file a FAFSA to be considered for this non-need based loan. The Federal Direct PLUS Loan is for parents who want to borrow money to help pay for their dependent child’s education. This loan is based on the parents’ credit rating.


Federal Student Loan Deferment:

Deferment is a period of time during repayment of a Federal Direct Stafford Loan in which the borrower, upon meeting certain conditions, is not required to make payments. The most typical deferment conditions are continuing study at an approved school with at least half-time enrollment, unemployment, and economic hardship. Students must apply for deferment by contacting their lender or printing a deferment form from


Other Resources:



Veterans and veterans’ dependents are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid office for information about VA educational benefits. The VA Certifying Official is part of the Financial Aid staff and assists students in applying for VA educational benefits. The student must request certification each semester with the Financial Aid Office-VA Certifying Official. Students arerequired to make satisfactory academic progress to continue receiving benefits. All changes of address, program of study and withdrawals from courses must be reported immediately to the VA Certifying Official. For more information visit


Women’s Resource Center Funds

The Women’s Resource Center has limited funds available to students who are single parents, displaced homemakers and those in nontraditional academic programs for their gender. FAFSA filing is required.


Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians

Contact the Education department at 231-242-1492 for resources available to LTBB members.


Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver

Michigan residents who are North American Indian and are certified one-quarter blood quantum by their tribal association may be eligible for tuition assistance funding. A Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver Application must be completed. Students should contact their tribal enrollment office.


Michigan Works!

Funds are available for students in vocational programs who are economically disadvantaged, long-term unemployed or dislocated workers. Eligible students may receive funding for tuition, fees, books, supplies and mileage. For more information, students should contact their regional Michigan Works! office.


Petoskey-Harbor Springs Area Community Foundation

Scholarship funds for graduating high school seniors or graduates from Emmet County. Contact the Foundation at 231-348-5820 for current scholarships and deadline dates.


T.E.A.C.H. Scholarships

State funds are available for tuition, fees, books, and stipends for students currently working in participating early childhood education programs. For more
information visit


Human Services Coordinating Body of Emmet and Charlevoix Counties

The Human Services Coordinating Body of Emmet and Charlevoix Counties is the state-endorsed Community Collaborative body for this two-county area. The mission of the HSCB is to facilitate inter-agency cooperation, coordination and collaboration for the improvement of human services.