Skip to Main Content

Disability Support Services

Special needs assistance is available to any North Central student with a documented disability through Learning Support Services, Room 533 of the Student and Community Resource Center.


Process for Requesting Accommodations

The accommodations process is addressed on an individual, case-by-case basis. Each student’s needs are different depending on the disability and course-load. What works for one student may not work for another, and what works in one class may not work in another, so the circumstances for each individual must be assessed when services are required. All requests for accommodations should be made to LSS with at least two weeks lead time as some accommodations take a while to get in place.


The process for receiving accommodations is:

  1. Student discloses disability and registers with Learning Support Services (Disability Services), completing all necessary paperwork and documenting disability.

  2. Director and student discuss and determine specific recommended accommodations based on documentation and eligibility.

  3. LSS provides student with written notification for faculty.

  4. Student delivers letters of accommodation to faculty and discusses with them arrangements for accommodations in the classroom, agreeing to a mutual understanding, conferring with LSS as needed.

  5. Student returns signed letters to LSS to be placed in file and designated “in effect”. If adjustments to accommodations are needed, students are responsible for contacting LSS for assistance. Modifications to accommodations can be made through LSS at any time; however, accommodations cannot be made retroactively.

  6. Each new semester the student must contact LSS and request accommodations for classes. This process will not be done automatically.



Students must provide written documentation of their disability from an appropriate licensed professional.

This documentation should:

  • preferably be dated within the last 3 years

  • provide a diagnosis of the disability and include diagnostic evaluations, tests, or methods used in reaching that diagnosis

  • explain current functional limitations

  • be written on the professional’s letterhead & signed by the evaluating professional

This documentation can come in many formats including letters from doctors, psychological evaluations, or diagnostic tests and is necessary to establish the need for services and the appropriateness of those services. LSS will consider accommodations recommended in the documentation but does not guarantee that they will be provided.

High school IEPs that include a summary evaluation and a psychologist’s evaluation can serve as a reference and can be helpful, but they should not be the sole form of documentation as much of what they contain does not apply at the college level. Many colleges, especially 4-year schools, do not consider these acceptable forms of documentation at all.

  • LSS can provide professional referrals for diagnostic testing, but North Central cannot assist in obtaining a diagnosis of nor do any testing for disabilities.
  • All information submitted to LSS will be kept confidential and shared with college personnel on a need-to-know basis.


You can download the Disability Services materials by following the links below, or pick them up in Learning Support Services.


Special Assistance

Special assistance is also available to any student who has formally enrolled in or declared an intent to enroll in an occupational certificate or occupational degree program at North Central and is qualified as one or more of the following:

  • individuals with a hidden or obvious disability

  • individuals from economically disadvantaged families, including foster children

  • individuals preparing for nontraditional fields

  • single parents, including single pregnant women

  • displaced homemakers, or

  • individuals with limited English proficiency 


Students who fit one of the above listed descriptions qualify for special services including financial aid, advocacy, career guidance, academic advising, personal counseling, tutoring and special needs assistance. 

(231) 348-6687 or (231) 348-6817.