Skip to content

State and local assistance programs

There are several state and local assistance programs to help you pay for college.

Futures for Frontliners

Futures for Frontliners is a state scholarship program that gives Michiganders who worked in essential industries during the state's COVID-19 shutdown tuition-free access to public community colleges, including North Central Michigan College.  

The application process opened in September 2020 and closed in December 2020. The scholarship will be available to begin classes in January 2021, qualified Frontliners can take steps now to be ready when it starts.  Read more on our Futures for Frontliners page.

Michigan Competitive Scholarship

The Michigan Competitive Scholarship is a program for students who achieve required scores on the ACT exam and have financial need. The Michigan Department of Treasury determines eligibility and the award amount.  To be eligible, you must complete the FAFSA and be enrolled for at least half-time (minimum of six semester credit hours).

To fill out the FAFSA, visit

Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver

Michigan residents who are North American Indian and are certified one-quarter blood quantum by their tribal association may be eligible for tuition assistance funding. A Michigan Indian Tuition Waiver Application must be completed. Students should contact their tribal enrollment office.

Michigan Reconnect

Michigan Reconnect is a state scholarship program that pays the remaining balance of in-district tuition and mandatory fees for eligible students after other state and federal financial aid have been applied. Students who attend out-of-district community colleges will receive a large tuition discount. It’s designed specifically for eligible adults who want to start—or finish—an associate degree or skills certificate.

Read more on our Michigan Reconnect page.

Michigan Tuition Incentive Program 

The Michigan Tuition Incentive program is a state award that provides finances for tuition and fees at the resident college rate to students who are under the age of 20, are high school graduates, or have earned their GED. The Michigan Department of Treasury, through Family Independence Agency Medicaid records, certifies eligibility for each recipient. Students must enroll in at least six credit hours per semester.

T.E.A.C.H. Scholarships

State funds are available for tuition, fees, books, and stipends for students currently working in participating in early childhood education programs. For more information, visit 

Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians

Contact the Education Department at 231-242-1492 to learn about resources available to LTBB members.

Michigan Works!

Northwest Michigan Works! offers career guidance and basic skill development for adult learners.

Funds are available for students in vocational programs who are economically disadvantaged, long-term unemployed or dislocated workers. Eligible students may receive funding for tuition, fees, books, supplies, and mileage. For more information, students should contact their regional Michigan Works! office.

North Central Michigan College Presidential Scholarship

A graduate from each public and private high school and one home-schooled student within North Central's service area encompasses Emmet, Charlevoix, Cheboygan, Otsego, Presque Isle, Antrim and Mackinac counties.

The award is for full-time tuition and fees for two academic years (Fall and Winter semesters). The award is renewed each semester the student maintains eligibility. 

To be considered, a student shall be either a valedictorian, salutatorian, or have a 3.5 overall high school grade point average; meet pre-established placement scores, and apply for admission to North Central by early spring. 

Petoskey-Harbor Springs Area Community Foundation

Scholarship funds for graduating high school seniors or graduates from Emmet County. Contact PHSACF at 231-348-5820 for current scholarships and deadline dates.

Veterans Benefits

Veterans and veterans' dependents are encouraged to contact Mary Mummaw, our veterans resource representative, at 231-348-6700 or for information about the Department of Veteran Affairs (VA).

The VA benefits eligibility in the areas of: Education, Employment, Healthcare and Quality of Life. The VA Certifying Official on campus can assist students with applying for VA educational benefits and will verify enrollment each semester. The student must request certification each semester with the VA Certifying Official. Students are required to make satisfactory academic progress to continue receiving benefits. All changes of address, a program of study and withdrawals from courses must be reported immediately to the VA Certifying Official. For more information visit

For more information about North Central's veterans resources, visit our Veterans and Active Military page.

Women's Resource Center Funds

The Women's Resource Center has limited funds available to students who are single parents, displaced homemakers, and those in nontraditional academic programs for their gender.  FAFSA filing is required.