Achieving the Dream Performance
North Central was chosen to join the Achieving the Dream (AtD) student success initiative in 2007. AtD is a nationwide network of over 200 community colleges, including 17 of Michigan’s 28, that have made a concerted effort to improve the success of all of our students.
AtD is funded in part by the Lumina and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundations. More information on AtD is available at http://achievingthedream.org/.
key metrics of success
As part of Atd, North Central focuses on improving four key metrics of success:
- Successful completion of developmental (college-prep) coursework.
- Successful completion of college-level coursework.
- Persistence (term-to-term) and retention (year-to-year).
- Attain a credential, degree or certificate.
As a result of its performance on these measures, North Central achieved Leader College designation within AtD in 2013, reflecting our dedication to improving our students’ success. North Central's Leader College status was recertified by AtD in 2016.
progress on key metrics
The following graphs summarize North Central’s progress on the key AtD metrics.
- Percentage of incoming developmental students successfully completing college-prep course requirements within two years. DE Math refers to incoming students who placed into developmental (pre-college) math; DE Eng refers to those who placed into developmental English.
- Percentage of incoming students successfully completing gateway English (English Composition I) or Math (Beginning Algebra or higher) courses within three years.
3. Persistence (term-to-term, labeled F-W) and retention (year-to-year, F-F) of incoming students.
4. Percentage of incoming students who receive a degree or certificate within four years.